Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Debate Team

Today marks the beginning of the debate season for me. I should mark myself lucky because, unlike the other teams, we are just starting to practice. The teams that we will competing against have been practicing for over two months. Just like last year the staff at my school has put off teaching or preparing our students until the last minute. I have been teaching the basics to my students in class, but they also need to have support from the other English teachers.

I was rewarded with a good group of girls who seem to really want to try to do their best. I did let them know the situation before starting today. I am not sure if that was a good thing or bad. Should I have given them some false hope, or the idea that they are on equal footing with the other teams? Or, should I present the the truth unadulterated? I think that if I was in their shoes I would want to be treated like an adult, or at least a person who can handle the reality of the situation.

I had trouble sleeping last night. It could be because I was perfectly rested or it could be because my brain has been working at a million miles an hour lately. I really need something to calm myself down sometimes. I tried my yogic breathing, reading, and other tried and true methods that "guys" revert to occasionally. Sleep didn't come until around 4 o'clock or so. I might not have fallen asleep at all. I recall waking to my alarm just after dawn. The cool breeze gave me a boost of energy. It has been difficult for me to keep my eyes open today, but, it being 11 o'clock, I think that I might be able to sleep normally tonight.

I got shit to do tomorrow, so I need to be ripe and ready.

No comments: